The cottage was built circa 1837, shortly after Samuel and Robert Patterson acquired the land. In 1847, it was acquired by John Coulson, a merchant. When Coulson purchased the Cliffs Plantation from John W. Henderson in 1868, Henderson in turn purchased Belvidere.
The house was moved northwards in 1927, when the Margaret Martin Junior High School was built where it once stood.
By 1980, it still belonged to the Henderson family.