- Location – Pendleton, Anderson County
2725 Old Greenville Highway, about three miles east of Pendleton
- Origin of name – In the Algonquian Indian language, Ashtabula means "river of many fish" (6).
- Other names – Gibbes, Broyles, Latta, Pelzer Place
- Current status – Owned by Pendleton Historic Foundation and operated as a house museum
- 1790 – Earliest known date of existence (2)
The Gassaway family owned the property (2).
- 1825 – Lewis Ladson and Maria Henrietta Drayton Gibbes acquired the property from the Gassaway family (2).
- 1828 – House built by Lewis Ladson Gibbes of Charleston
- 1837 – Plantation bought by Dr. Oze R. Broyles (2)
- 1851 – Plantation bought by James T. Latta of York (2)
- 1861 – Plantation bought by Mr. Robert Adger, owner of the Sword Gate House in Charleston (2)
- 1865 – Adger's daughter Clarissa and her husband O. A. Bowen lived in the house with their son Allen until this year.
- 1865 – Adger's daughter Sallie and her husband William D. Warren became owners of the plantation (2).
- 1880 – Ashtabula was next owned by Francis J. Pelzer (owner of Pelzer Mills and founder of the Town of Pelzer) (2).
- 1889 – John Linley became Ashtabula's owner (2).
- 1920 – Roger Inglesby became owner (2).
- 1940 – Frederick W. Symmes became the last resident owner of Ashtabula (2).
- 1957 – Symmes died and Ashtabula was purchased by Mead Corporation for a tree farm (2).
- 1961 – Mead Corporation gave the house and 10 acres to the Pendleton Historic Foundation (2).
- Number of acres – 10 acres in 1961
- Primary crop – Timber for paper 1957-1961
- Number of slaves – ?
- The house is a two-story clapboard plantation house. There is also two-story brick building built prior to 1790 that was used as a traveler's tavern. This brick structure was later connected to the main house by a breezeway and used as a kitchen (2).
References & Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
– Nomination form - PDF - submitted in 1971
– Photographs, architectural overview
- Pendleton Historic Foundation | Timeline
- 30-15 Plantation File, held by the South Carolina Historical Society
- Jane Ockershausen, The South Carolina One-Day Trip Book (McLean, VA: EPM Publications, 1998)
- SC Highway Historical Marker Guide - online database by the SC Department of Archives & History
- Information contributed by Mary Ann Masek
- Pendleton Historic Foundation
PO Box 444
Pendleton, SC 29670
Website: Click here