In the 1830’s Henry S. Johnson purchased a number of adjoining tracts of land in Ascension Parish, which he combined to form Chatham Estate, a large Plantation which bordered John R. Thompson’s Claiborne Plantation in Iberville Parish, the parish line ran between the two plantations. At various times during his life Henry Johnson would be a U.S. Representative, U.S. Senator, Planter, and Governor of Louisiana. In 1844, Phillip B. Key purchased a half interest in Chatham Plantation from Henry Johnson, a year later he would sell that half interest to John R. Thompson. In 1851, Henry Johnson sold to John R. Thompson his half interest in Chatham Plantation. This purchase gave Thompson full ownership.