Lansdowne is a historic mansion that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi. It was originally built as the owner's residence on a 727-acre antebellum plantation. It is located on Marshall Road, one mile north of the Natchez city limits.
George M. Marshall, a Princeton University graduate, and his new bride Charlotte Hunt built the mansion on their Lansdowne Plantation in 1852-1853, having been given the land by Charlotte's rich, planter, father David Hunt (1779-1861). The plantation was named after the couple's English friend, the Marquess of Lansdowne, probably because it made them feel like English landed gentry. Lansdowne adjoined Homewood Plantation, which belonged to Charlotte's sister Catherine. Before the American Civil War of 1861-1865, Lansdowne Plantation's cash crop was cotton. The plantation was 727 acres in size. Not being one of David Hunt's biggest plantations, he gave Charlotte and George another plantation across the Mississippi River in Louisiana as well. Their Louisiana Plantation was Arcola in Tensas Parish near the Mississippi River town of Waterproof.
George Marshall had twenty-two slaves on Lansdowne; and his Louisiana plantation, valued at $119,000, had 104 slaves. In 1860 his Louisiana and Mississippi property was valued at $319,000. This did not include much of his earned and inherited assets. His father was Levin R. Marshall, a Natchez millionaire planter who owned 1,058 slaves just before the Civil War. Levin R. Marshall lived at the suburban Natchez estate known as Richmond. Portraits of Levin R. Marshall and George M. Marshall, painted by Louis Joseph Bahin, hang in the dining-room at Lansdowne.