Windsor Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Mon, 12/26/2016 - 18:45
Ruins of a plantation house built 1859–61 for Smith Coffee Daniell II. It was three-and-a-half-stories high, then topped by a large cupola. It was one of the largest antebellum mansions ever built in the South. It burned down on February 17, 1890.

Windsor Ruins are in Claiborne County in the U.S. state of Mississippi, about 10 miles (16 km) southwest of Port Gibson near Alcorn State University. The ruins consist of 23 standing Corinthian columns of the largest antebellum Greek Revival mansion ever built in the state.[4] The mansion stood from 1861 to 1890, when it was destroyed by fire. The 2.1-acre (0.85 ha) site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and was designated a Mississippi Landmark in 1985.[3]

The Windsor Plantation, (Claiborne County,) Mississippi LCCN2011632102.tif

 

Location
Port Gibson
State
GeoCoord
31°56′26″N 91°7′46″W
Owners
Smith Coffee Daniell II
Founded
1859
Status
Ruins
NRHP Ref Number
71000447