Waverly Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Fri, 12/30/2016 - 16:57

John T. Scott purchased Waverly, a small property of only 75 acres between Mosby's Brighton Plantation and Second Creek in Adams County, MS. At the time, he owned seven slaves.

The Second Creek Plan (Slave Revolt)
In the summer of 1861, at the dawn of the Civil War, a network of slaves from neighboring plantations near Second Creek in Adams County, MS conspired to gain their freedom by overthrowing and murdering their white masters. The conspiracy was discovered, the plotters were arrested and tried, and at least 40 slaves were hanged. (Jordan, 1993). Slaves on Dr. Scott's Waverly, Mr. Dunbar's The Forest, Dr. Jenklin's Elgin, and Dr. Metcalfe's Fair Oaks.

Harry Scott
Harry Scott, one of the slaves of Waverly Plantation and a conspirator in the Second Creek Plan, shared the only cabin on the Scott place with two women and four other men. Unusual for a slave, he was acknowledged by surname. His son Alfred, owned by John S. Mosby, lived at the neighboring Brighton Plantation. Harry Scott was a bold, enterprising and persistent man. He succeeded in hiding the runaway slave Dave Bradley in his henhouse and escorting him to a slave social at The Forest Plantation, where Harry was a frequent and noteworthy visitor there.

  • Jordan, Winthrop D. Tumult and Silence at Second Creek: An Inquiry Into A Civil War Slave Conspiracy. 1993. Louisiana State University Press
State
County
Owners
John Turnbull Scott
Status
Unknown
Address
Between Mosby's Brighton Plantation and Second Creek