David Hunt's Black Creek Plantation probably began in about 1818 when Hunt acquired about 600 acres of land at T10N-R1W sections 39 and 43. It was expanded in 1840 and 1844 when David bought 747 more acres of land at T10N-R1W sections 26, 27, and 40. Thus the total size was about 1,350 acres. The plantation was on Black Creek, which was a small creek that connected a lake to Coles Creek near where it emptied into the MS River at that time. Current maps only show a swamp where the lake was, and the MS RIver has since shifted away to the west so that the land is about a mile or so from where Coles Creek empties into the MS River. Furthermore, many contemporary maps show Black Creek in a different location - to the east - than it was when David Hunt had a plantation on this land.