Argyle Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Sat, 12/17/2016 - 14:09

"The following link shows David Hunt as having 139 slaves on Argyle in Tensas Parish in 1860. http://www.loc.gov/resource/g4013t.la000264/ . The plantation was on what is now Highway 566 where it abruptly turns south at its intersection with highway 571.  It was on both sides of highway 566 as it goes south.  Boundaries of this plantation were probably WaterBule Bayou on the north, Green Bayou on the east and Tensas Bayou on the south.  It was in parts of sections 29, 30, 31 and 32.

By 1860 this plantation had been put into a trust for four of David Hunt's grandchildren by his then deceased son Abijah (named after David's Uncle Abijah). They were being raised by their mother and step father, Edgar Wood, on Calviton Plantation in Jefferson Co. MS which adjoined David Hunt's Woodlawn Plantation MS.

 

This plantation was not a residence for any of the Hunt family before the Civil War (Dunbar Hunt, "Sketch of David Hunt," "The Fayette Chronicle," 29 May 1908, VOL XLI. No35). It would have been operated for David Hunt and later for David's son Abijah's children by a plantation manager who lived on the plantation."

 

State
County
Owners
David Hunt
Abijah Hunt
Thomas W. Hunt
Ann Hunt
Mary Floyd Hunt
Ella Agnes Hunt
Founded
Prior to 1811
Status
Unknown