Belle Grove Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Sat, 12/17/2016 - 15:15

Belle Grove, also known as Belle Grove Plantation, was a plantation and elaborate Greek Revival and Italianate-style plantation mansion near White Castle in Iberville Parish, Louisiana. Completed in 1857, it was one of the largest mansions ever built in the South, surpassing that of the neighboring Nottoway. Nottoway is often cited as the largest antebellum plantation house remaining in the South.[1][2] The masonry structure stood 62 feet (19 m) high and measured 122 feet (37 m) wide by 119 feet (36 m) deep, with seventy-five rooms (including a jail cell) spread over four floors.[1]

 

Belle Grove Plantation 13.jpg

Location
White Castle
State
GeoCoord
30.177°N 91.154°W
Owners
John Andrews
Henry Ware
Founded
1857
Status
Ruins