Altwood Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Fri, 12/16/2016 - 23:06

Built in 1836 for Richard Henry Adams and Anna Carter Harrison, both natives of Virginia.

Altwood is a historic plantation house located near Faunsdale, Alabama.[1] It was built in 1836 by Richard H. Adams[4] and began as a log dogtrot house. It was then expanded until it came to superficially resemble a Tidewater-type cottage.[5] Brought to the early Alabama frontier by settlers from the Tidewater and Piedmont regions of Virginia, this vernacular house-type is usually a story-and-a-half in height, displays strict symmetry, and is characterized by prominent end chimneys flanking a steeply pitched longitudinal gable roof that is often pierced by dormer windows.[6]

The house was moved to Cedar Crest Farms in 1988 and restored by members of the Rankin family.

Altwood Plantation.jpg

 

Location
Faunsdale
State
GeoCoord
32.42533°N 87.68124°W
Founded
1836
Status
Relocated
NRHP Ref Number
93000598