Built from 1845–50 for William S. Mudd, a native of Kentucky. The plantation was in the community of Elyton prior to the American Civil War. It was used as a headquarters by federal troops during the war. The plantation and community were eventually absorbed by Birmingham, a city that Mudd helped establish after the war.
Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens is a former plantation house and 6 acres (24,000 m2) of landscaped gardens near downtown Birmingham, Alabama. The two-story frame structure was built between 1845–50 and features antebellum-era Greek Revival architecture. The house serves as a decorative arts museum, featuring a collection of 19th-century furniture, textiles, silver, and paintings. The garden features a restored garden room that is used for special events.
Built between 1845 and 1850 by William S. Mudd in Elyton, the second county seat of Jefferson County. Birmingham, a city that Mudd helped to establish, eventually grew to encompass the former site of Elyton. Arlington is one of the only surviving structures from the time of Elyton and is Birmingham's only antebellum mansion. Arlington was used by Union troops while planning the burning of the University of Alabama.
The ashes of former Birmingham mayor George G. Siebels, Jr. are interred at Arlington.