Built in 1826 by Willis McDonald (a Revolutionary War veteran)
The woof-framed cottage was built in 1854. It has two main rooms, cabinets and galleries. In 1854, James Railey, who already owned the Oakland Plantation, purchased this property. However, after his death, his heirs lost the property due to a chancery lawsuit.
A few years after the American Civil War of 1861-1865, in 1869, former slaves Auguste Mazique and his wife Sarah purchased the property at a public auction. They became the largest landowners in southwestern Adams County by the end of the nineteenth century.