Glenfield Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Sat, 12/17/2016 - 22:29

Built in two distinct architectural periods 1797-1840s, this English Gothic estate rest on the original 150 acres Spanish land grant and witnessed a civil war skirmish on the grounds with a bullet hole through the original door denoting this fact.

Glenfield Plantation (originally called Glencannon) is a one-level historic antebellum home in Natchez, Mississippi. Glenfield was built in two distinct architectural periods on a Spanish land grant originally with over 1000 acres, circa 1782-1812 and 1840-1845.[2] Glenfield was declared on the National Register of Historic Places in Mississippi in 1990.[3]

Glenfield was purchased in April 1880 by Osborne King Field, Sr. The descendants of Osborne King Field, Sr. and his wife, Virginia Hamilton Field, still reside at Glenfield today as their private residence. Prior to 1880, Glenfield was called "Glencannon" by its previous owners, William and Jane Shipp Cannon.

Though Natchez, Mississippi surrendered to Union Troops, a skirmish during the Civil War was held here on the grounds of Glenfield (then Glencannon), a bullet hole in the front door, as well as other preserved artifacts, including medals and buttons have been recovered on the grounds bearing evidence to these facts.[4]

The house has been a historic house museum with tours for the public since 1932, as well as a bed and breakfast since 1992.[5]

Glenfield (formally Glencannon).jpg

 

Location
Natchez
State
County
Status
Active
Address
Jct. of Providence Rd. and Gov. Fleet Rd., Natchez, Mississippi
NRHP Ref Number
89002322