Waverley Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Sat, 12/17/2016 - 22:39

Waverley is a mansion, formerly a plantation house, in Clay County, Mississippi, ten miles east of West Point.

It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973.[2] A statement at that time by the National Park Service read:

Begun in the 1840s and completed in 1852, Waverley is distinguished by the immense octagonal rotunda which projects through the roof as a cupola. This structure combines ornament and technology in the tradition of Jefferson: the varied decorative treatment of each room is artistic and the lighting system, using gas manufactured on the site, was scientific.[2]

The antebellum home was originally owned by George Hampton Young, a colonel from Georgia. At one point [when?], the Waverley Plantation was independent, providing its own produce and meat, textiles, and energy. The mansion fell into disrepair following the end of the Young family line in 1913, but was restored by the Robert Snow family beginning in 1962.[3]

Waverley, Waverley Road, West Point vicinity (Clay County, Mississippi).jpg

Location
West Point
State
County
GeoCoord
33.57103°N 88.50023°W
Owners
George Hampton Young
Founded
1840
Status
Active
Address
1852 Waverly Mansion Road - Off Hwy. 50 between Columbus and West Point, Mississippi
NRHP Ref Number
73001004