Four Mile Tree Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Sun, 12/18/2016 - 11:55

Four Mile Tree is the name of a plantation near Jamestown, Virginia that once encompassed two thousand acres (8 km²), it was situated on the south bank of the James River opposite Jamestown, four miles (6 km) further north. On a hill near the water's edge a handsome old house overlooks the river. This plantation, was the seat of the Browne family for two hundred years. The first owner, Colonel Henry Browne, was a member of Sir William Berkeley's Council in 1643. The plantation house constructed circa 1745 remains well-preserved in its original historical state.

In a nearby garden is the second oldest tombstone in Virginia[citation needed], dated January 7, 1650. It marks the grave of Alice Miles, daughter of John Miles, of Branton, Herefordshire, and wife of Colonel George Jordan, Attorney General of Virginia in 1670. The tombstone of Colonel William Perry of Westover, who died in 1637, is the oldest in Virginia.

Fmt main house.jpg

Location
Surry
State
County
GeoCoord
37°12′17″N 76°51′10″W
Founded
1745
Status
Active
NRHP Ref Number
70000826