Greenway Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Sun, 12/18/2016 - 11:56

Greenway Plantation is a wood-frame, 1 1/2-story plantation house that stands on the north side of Route 5 in Charles City County, Virginia. Located just west of the Charles City Courthouse, it is one of Charles City's earliest and most distinctive Colonial plantations. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.[1]

Greenway was built circa 1776 by Judge John Tyler, Sr., the father of president John Tyler. Future President Tyler was born here in 1790. When Judge Tyler died in 1813, John Tyler at the age of 23 inherited Greenway and lived there until age 39 (1829), when he sold the plantation and moved to nearby Sherwood Forest Plantation. Although its architecture is of significant import, the historical figures associated with the structure provide the greatest argument for the plantation's historic integrity.

Greenway, State Route 5 vicinity, Charles City vicinity (Charles City County, Virginia).jpg

 

Location
Greenway
State
GeoCoord
37°21′15″N 77°6′6″W
Founded
1775
Status
Active
NRHP Ref Number
69000336