Shirley Plantation

Submitted by FHMaster on Sun, 12/18/2016 - 13:08

Shirley Plantation is an estate located on the north bank of the James River in Charles City County, Virginia, USA. It is located on State Route 5, a scenic byway which runs between the independent cities of Richmond and Williamsburg. Shirley Plantation is the oldest active plantation in Virginia and is the oldest family-owned business in North America, dating back to 1614 with operations starting in 1638.[4] The plantation was added to the National Register in 1969 and declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970.

The lands of Shirley Plantation were first settled in 1613 by Sir Thomas West, 3rd Baron De la Warr and were named West and Sherley Hundred. The land was cultivated for growing tobacco to be shipped around the colonies and to England.

In 1638, a portion of this land was granted to Edward Hill, thus beginning the occupation by the Hill family. The original 450-acre (180 ha) plot was expanded by marriage and gradual land acquisition. The land passed to Edward Hill II who was owner during Bacon's Rebellion in 1676. He sided with Governor William Berkeley, and Bacon's rebels proceeded to plunder his home. The land was then inherited by Edward Hill III in 1700. Edward Hill III's only son, Edward Hill IV, died at 16 of consumption, leaving no male heirs. The property reverted to Edward Hill III's youngest daughter Elizabeth who married John Carter (eldest son of Robert "King" Carter), in October 1723. The construction of the present mansion and outbuildings began c. 1723. The mansion, called the "Great House", was completed in 1738 and was located close to the original house built by the Hills that became known as the "Hill House". The Hill House stood until the late 1860s, when it was demolished and the building materials were salvaged and used to construct the mansion at Upper Shirley.

The house has been occupied by the Hill Carter family since 1738 and has housed eight generations.[5] It was at Shirley that Anne Hill Carter was born, and on 18 June 1793 married Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee in the mansion's parlor. The couple were later parents of the famous Confederate General Robert E. Lee.

Shirley Plantation 2006.jpg 

Shirley is a premier example of an colonial Virginia tobacco plantation and is the oldest plantation in Virginia, dating to 1613. The property was patented to Edward Hill in 1660 and remains in the possession of his family today. The main house, forecourt dependencies, formal brick farm buildings, and two demolished three-story bedroom houses were built ca. 1736 for Elizabeth Hill. In 1736, Hill, the heiress of Shirley, married John Carter, the son of Robert "King" Carter. Robert Carter was the wealthiest and most politically influential man in mid- 1700s Virginia. Carter's children also married into prominent families who owned other plantations, such as Berkeley, Westover, and Brandon.

By the 1770s, Charles, John Carter's son, inherited Shirley. He remodled the interior and added fine woodwork, poriticos, new outbuildings, and replaced the roof tile with slate. By this time, Shirley was considered to be the seat of the Carter family. By the end of the 1700s, Shirley had become the largest agricultural operation in the state. Charles Carter's daughter, Ann Hill Carter, was born at Shirley in 1773. She married Light-Horse Harry Lee and gave birth to General Robert E. Lee.

Shirley is the oldest family-owned business in North America, dating to 1638 when Edward Hill I established a farm on the banks of the James. Today, the 800 acre plantation is still home to the 10th and 11th generations of the Hill-Carter family. The plantation is located at 501 Shirley Plantation Road Charles City, VA 23030. Shirley was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1969 and the Virginia Landmarks Register on November 5, 1968. For more information or to visit, please call: (804) 829-5121 or visit ShirleyPlantation.com.

Location
Hopewell
State
GeoCoord
37°21′21″N 77°14′39″W
Owners
Thomas West
Edward Hill
John Carter
Founded
Circa 1723
Status
Active
Address
5 mi. N of Hopewell off VA 608, Hopewell, Virginia
NRHP Ref Number
69000328