"West of Waterproof, LA in Tensas Parish on Highway 566 (U.S. 65).
"This plantation was just south of the town of Waterproof, LA.
The plantation was probably begun by Elijah Smith during the time that he was a business partner with Abijah Hunt (1800 - 1811). Abijah and Elijah had the firm of Hunt and Smith, which was a cotton brokerage that also ran five general stores and several public cotton gins. They had several cotton plantations as well.
Edwin Ruthven Bennett purchased over 257 acres of land in Madison Parish, Louisiana in August of 1844.
Amelia/Charles Devall settled first at Camp Plantation, which they bought on 6 Feb 1869 after suing Amelia’s mother Elizabeth and he 2nd husband Andrew Woods for non-payment of debts
Amelia lost Camp on 7 Feb 1874 after being sued by creditors for non-payment of debts
W.B. Chamberlain was high bidder at the sheriff’s sale
Then Amelia and Charles Devall moved to Orange Grove
Elizabeth Devall (daughter of James Richard Devall and Mary Louise Tabor) married W.L. Clark, owner of Clarkland Plantation
Secretively demolished by Marathon Oil Company.