Evergreen Plantation

Submitted byFHMaster onTue, 03/30/2021 - 09:52

Basic Information

Timeline

  • ? – Earliest known date of existence
  • ? – House built
  • ? – John Gabriel Guignard owned the plantation (1).
  • ? – John Gabriel Guignard gave the plantation to his son James Sanders Guignard (1).
  • 1829 – The plantation's name was changed from Hopewell to Evergreen (1).
  • ? – James Sanders Guignard gave Evergreen Plantation to his son John Gabriel Guignard II (1).

Land

  • Number of acres – ?
  • Primary crop – ?
  • A slave cemetery is located near SC Highway 4 (1).

Slaves

  • Number of slaves – ?

Buildings

References & Resources

  1. Major James Sanders Guignard - contributed by Stanley Young

  2. Information contributed by Stanley Young - many of Stanley's family members, including his great, great grandparents, are buried in the plantation's slave cemetery

  3. Guignard Family Papers, 1742-1952 - held by South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC

  4. Arney R. Childs, Planters and Business Men: The Guignard Family of South Carolina, 1795-1930 (Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 1957)
      Order Planters and Business Men: The Guignard Family of South Carolina, 1795-1930

     

State
County
Owners
John Gabriel Guignard
Status
Unknown