The house was built in the late 18th century, using bricks between cypress studs. This type of construction, called briquettes entre poteaux or "brick between posts," was used on the front and rear walls, with a type of adobe filling on the side walls. Rounded cement and brick columns supported the front veranda, or gallery, with wood columns on the second floor supporting the roof.
The builder and first owner of the house was Mr. Pierre Trepagnier. In the early 1780s, Pierre Trepagnier was awarded a tract of land by Spanish Governor Don Bernardo de Galvez, in recognition of Trepagnier's service in subduing the British at Natchez during the American Revolutionary War. The manor house was completed shortly before 1789 and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Trepagnier and their children. The family grew indigo and then sugarcane on the property.