Fairfield Plantation

Submitted byFHMaster onSun, 12/18/2016 - 00:35

Fairfield Plantation, also known as the Lynch House is a plantation about 5 mi (8 km) east of McClellanville in Charleston County, South Carolina. It is adjacent to the Wedge Plantation and just north of Harrietta Plantation. The plantation house was built around 1730. It is located just off US Highway 17 near the Santee River. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places on September 18, 1975.

The house at Fairfield Plantation is believed to have been built by the Lynch family around 1730. In 1758, Jacob Motte, son of Jacob Motte who was provincial treasurer, and his wife Rebecca Brewton Motte obtained the house. Their daughters, Elizabeth and Frances, both married Thomas Pinckney in succession and the house was left to Pinckney. Pinckney then left the house to his son, Thomas Pinckney Jr who in turn left it to his nephew, Captain Thomas Pinckney. The plantation has remained in the Pinckney family for over 200 years.

Location
Near McClellanville, South Carolina
State
GeoCoord
33°10′58″N 79°24′18″W
Owners
Jacob Motte
Rebecca Brewton Motte
Thomas Pinckney Sr.
Thomas Pinckney Jr.
Founded
1730
Status
Active
NRHP Ref Number
74001838