This mansion stands on part of the land where the French built Fort Rosalie in 1716 on the bluffs of Natchez Indian settlement.
After the Natchez War of 1716, Bienville (also founded New Orleans) as part of the peace treaty, required the Natchez Indians to build the fort. This fort was close to the main Natchez settlement; and served as the primary French stronghold and trading post until it was eventually destroyed by the Natchez Indians.
Peter Little, a native of Pennsylvania, in 1820 purchased a portion of this fort land to build his house. Interesting fact is that Peter Little's grandfather, Colonel Peter Little, was a physician to George Washington and a pallbearer at his funeral. The home is now owned and operated by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution. Informative tour tells of the history of the Fort Rosalie and the mansion.