General Information - Location - stretching eastward along Port Royal Sound from Myrtle Bank toward the Atlantic, evidently not part of Bayley’s Barony..
- John Barnwell, December 10, 1717, probably Hilton Head’s first settler
- Katherine Barnwell Bryan who died in 1740.
- Edmund Ellis and Samuel Green purchased jointly as 900 acres.
- Sons Thomas and Edmund Ellis inherited 685 acres from their father; eventually sold entire holdings and moved to inland plantations.
Land - 500 or 2000 acres
Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle
Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names
After the death of Katherine Barnwell Bryan in 1740, her 500-acre plantation, stretching eastward along Port Royal Sound from Myrtle Bank towards the Atlantic, was sold jointly to Edmund Ellis and Samuel Green as 900 acres. Edmund Ellis in his January 5, 1775 will left his 685-acre island plantation to be divided between his sons Thomas and Edmund. They eventually sold their entire island holdings and settled on inland plantations which were eventually incorporated into present Chelsea Plantation. Kathryn Bryan’s “500-acre plantation” eventually proved to contain nearly 2000 acres, including her brother John Barnwell, Jr’s 500-acre Fish Haul.
- Peeples, Robert E. H., An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p. 13