Bolling Island is a historic plantation house located overlooking the upper James River near Goochland, Goochland County, Virginia. The original frame section, now the east wing, was built in 1771. The principal two-story, hipped roof brick core was built between 1800 and 1810.
The house was remodeled extensively between 1820 and 1835, as a Greek Revival style villa. At the time it was owned by Thomas Bolling, son of Col. William Bolling, who owned Bolling Hall, also a plantation in Goochland County.
The younger Bolling installed triple-hung sash as part of his renovations, and added the portico with a Chinese lattice railing. He also added an orangery to the east wing. This resulted in the tri-partite scheme showing influence by Thomas Jefferson.
The main house has a "T" plan and a two-story rear ell. The front facade features a two-story portico with a balustraded second level. Also on the property are the contributing smokehouse (c. 1845), office (1839), and brick kitchen.