Rochedale Hundred, was originally part of Sir Thomas Dale's settlement in 1613. It was first called Rochdale Hundred and afterwards 'Neck of Land in Charles City', to distinguish it from 'Neck of Land in James City' and later became known as Jones Neck. By 1681 the land had been acquired by William Byrd who sold 507 acres to Richard Kennon, who gave the property to his daughter Judith who married Thomas Eldridge. The Jones Neck property was later divided and the western portion became known as Rochedale and the eastern parcel became known as Meadowville. In the mid 20th-century the western 300 acres known as Rochedale Farm was acquired by a Southern States Cooperative executive and remained devoted to agriculture until the late 1980s when it was sold for the development of River's Bend on the James, a high end executive community. In 1990 the Varina Enon Bridge that carries Interstate 295 (Virginia) across the James River opened just east of Rochedale.