Upper Shirley is a historic plantation house located near Charles City, Charles City County, Virginia. The original section was built in 1868-1870, and enlarged to its present size in 1890. It is a two-story, nearly square, stucco covered brick dwelling with an overhanging hipped roof. It measures approximately 42 feet by 47 feet. The front facade features a portico with stylized Doric order columns. On the west elevation is a doorway originally on the Warren House in Harrisonburg, Virginia; it is protected by a two-level porch which stretches across the entire facade. The house was built by Hill Carter for his son William Fitzhugh Carter of materials salvaged from a large 18th-century building that was demolished at Shirley Plantation.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.