William and Christian Eppes Gilliam built their home, Weston Manor, in 1789 on land in Prince George County that was acquired two years earlier from her cousin John Wayles Eppes. The Gilliam family arrived in Virginia in the 17th century as indentured servants. By the late 18th century through hard work and smart marriages the family had amassed several plantations in the area. Christian was the daughter of Richard Eppes of neighboring Appomattox Plantation. Weston Manor was originally known as Western Manor because it was west of Appomattox Plantation, also known as Appomattox Manor.