Submitted by FHMaster on Sun, 12/18/2016 - 13:17

The Weyanoke Plantation includes a formal Georgian style mansion built in the 1790s and 40 archaeological sites. The mansion is a two-story frame house sheathed with molded weatherboards and set on a brick foundation. It was built by Fielding Lewis who was named for his uncle Col. Fielding Lewis of Fredericksburg.

It passed through marriage to the Douthat family and remained in the Douthat family through the American Civil War when in June 1864 the Union Army under General Grant crossed from Weyanoke Point to Flowerdew Hundred on the south bank of the James River on a hastily constructed pontoon bridge. The original house was enlarged after 1938. Within the property's boundaries are the archaeological remains of man's continuous occupation which spans 10,000 years.

In 1972 Weyanoke was acquired by Lawrence Lewis, Jr. a descendant of Fielding Lewis. Lewis, a businessman, philanthropist, benefactor of generations of conservative politicians and founder of Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida was an heir to a fortune amassed in oil and railroad investments by Henry Morrison Flagler, who in 1870 founded Standard Oil Co. with John D. Rockefeller. Lewis' fortune was estimated at $120 million in the July 1993 issue of Virginia Business magazine.

Weyanoke HABS VA1.jpg


37°17′30″N 77°3′56″W
Joseph Harwood
Fielding Lewis
Abt. 1790
Route 619 off Route 5, Charles City, Virginia
NRHP Ref Number