9 miles from Augusta
"William Shivers arrived in this area of Georgia from Virginia for a visit with his uncle in the early 1800's. He fell in love with the area as well as a local woman named Virginia Pitt, and decided to remain. He purchased 6,600 acres of land on the west side of the Ogeechee River and built a grist mill. After marrying Ms. Pitt, he built his home - a federal style house, with both front, back, left and right sides equal. For the architects to achieve this proved challenging and resulted in some very creative features.
The plantation was established in the late 1810s. The great house was built in 1819 for John Clark, who served as the governor of Georgia from 1819 - 1824. It was later purchased by Congressman Seaton Grantland. It was inherited by his daughter, Mrs. DuBignon, in the 1860s.
The plantation was acquired by Bim Richardson in the 1920s, who sold it to Carl Bentley in the 1940s.