General Information -
- Location - at the head of Broad Creek, Lot 22 of Bayley’s Barony
- Other names – Webb Plantation
- Thomas Webb and Lydia Davant Webb at least by 1789
- William Fripp Chaplin added the plantation to his holdings after 1820
- At the confiscation by the federal government, both plantations (Marshlands and Chaplins) were distributed to ex-slaves and were not redeemable.
Land - 400 acres
Mosse, "Hilton Head Island, 1783"
Hack, "Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, before 1861"
Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle
Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names
Also see Chaplin's Plantation
"....which one of the Chaplin brothers came to Hilton Head is not clear. Their plantation between Leamington and Mathew's contained 400 acres which was increased to 800 with the purchase of Marshlands, adjacent inland to their original purchase, and formerly owned by Thomas Webb, husband of Lydia Davant, and their son Samuel. Both estates were reserved by the Federal government for sale to Negroes and were not redeemable.
- Holmgren, Virginia C., Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle, p. 12
James Stoney purchased Lots #15-18 from Bayley's Baroney, eventually forming Gardner and Marshland Plantations.
- Trinkley, Chicora Research Contribution 78, Archaeological Survey of a Portion of Indigo Run Plantation, Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, South Carolina
"....it is not clear just which Chaplin bought the 400 acre ocean front plantation bearing the family name and later added 400 acre Marshland Plantation formerly owned by Thomas Webb, husband of Lydia Davant....both plantations were seized by...Direct Tax Commission and were given to former slaves whose descendants still have them."
- Peeples, Tales of Ante Bellum Hilton Head Families, p. 11
c. 1920...families in the area included Christophers, Browns, Dreissen, Ford, Ferguson, Porter, Simmons, Burke, Kellerson, Singleton, Green.
- Grant, Moses, Looking Back. p. 14
When James Davant died in 1803 his will left Lot 33 of Bayley’s Barony, well known as Possum Point, to his daughter Lydia. But the heiress had already been married on Lot 22 at the head of Broad Creek, next door to her sister Rebecca, calling it Marshlands Plantation. Following the 1816 death of Thomas Webb, Lydia and her eldest son, Samuel, operated the plantation until after 1820 when their neighbor, William Fripp Chaplin of Chaplin Plantation, added the 400 acres of Marshlands to his holdings. At the confiscation by the federal government, both plantations were distributed to ex-slaves and were not redeemable.
- Peeples, An Index to Hilton Head Island Names (Before the Contemporary Development), p.26